Crime & Trauma
The effects of crime and trauma are vast and unique to each individual. Our presence during these difficult times won’t change the outcome but can hopefully help to clarify issues that come up within the legal system and can address the mental and emotional impact of a tragedy.
Victims of crime and people suffering from other traumas have needs they cannot always meet on their own. Whether a primary victim, secondary victim, witness or family member affected by a trauma, our purpose is to find you the most useful resources that our community offers and get you on the road to healing.
Staff and Volunteers
Our unit is staffed with two full-time employees and approximately 20 volunteer case workers.
Prince George RCMP Victim Services offers support 24/7 to victims of crime and trauma. This takes several forms:
- Emotional Support: This can range from sitting with a victim while they wait for emergency services, offering a listening ear, calling family/friends on the victim’s behalf, providing information, etc.
- Court Orientation/Accompaniment: To emotionally prepare a client for testimony in court the victim services unit can provide a tour of the court house which offers the client information on what to expect during the course of a trial. Our caseworkers will attend court with our clients to offer assistance, information and a friendly face during a difficult time.
- Criminal Justice Information: We can provide our clients with updates on court cases and general information about how their case is progressing through the court system.
- Forms and Paperwork: Our Unit provides support to clients who need to fill out various documents related to their cases including Crime Victim Assistance Program applications, Victim Impact Statements and other applicable documents.
- Referrals: We provide referrals to appropriate agencies to be certain our clients are getting the best help by the best people.
- Crisis Intervention: During crisis situations, our caseworkers are available to attend scenes with police officers to provide emotional support.
- Outreach: Victim Services are very involved in our community and enjoy the opportunity to connect, interact and build relationships with agencies and people throughout Prince George and its surrounding areas.
Hours of Operation and Location
Victim Services is conveniently located within the Prince George RCMP Detachment at 455 Victoria Street and are accessible off the main lobby. They utilize a comfortable interview room for client meetings and interactions.
Prince George RCMP Victim Services offers:
- 24 Hour/7 Days a week on-scene support
- Daily office hours and walk-in appointments from 8:00am – 5:00pm Monday to Friday
- Date modified: